Dedication of New Improvements at Gluek Riverside Park
A look back in history on the Gluek Family and Gluek Brewery Operations
are part of the Dedication Ceremony

The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) and the Bottineau Neighborhood Association (BNA) are co-sponsoring a Dedication Ceremony to celebrate the improvements completed at Gluek Riverside Park. The Dedication Ceremony follows Earth Day clean up activities in the Bottineau Neighborhood and is scheduled for:

Saturday – April 19, 2008
12:30 pm
1926 Marshall Street NE
Minneapolis, MN 55418
Gluek Riverside Park is the site of the former Gluek Brewery and Gluek “mansion”. German immigrant, Gottlieb Gluek, established the brewery in 1857 (known then as the Mississippi Brewery) and in 1863 changed the name to Gluek Brewery.

The property was razed in 1966. Although originally slated for industrial expansion, the open space was acquired by the Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board (MPRB) in 1978. Gluek Riverside Park was renamed and dedicated to honor the Gluek family in 1995.

The park was closed in 2004 due to contaminated soils. After remediation work was completed by the United States Enviornmental Protection Agency, the park was released back to the MPRB. A community meeting was held in February, 2007 to discuss restoration plans and a design layout was approved by the Board of Commissioners.

The plan includes new flower beds, trees and shrubs, pathways, a picnic shelter sized for 50 persons, picnic tables and benches throughout the park, a new drinking fountain and two river overlooks. These improvements will allow the three acre park to function as a passive use park on the banks of the Mississippi River, consistent with the plans in the Above The Falls Master Plan.

More Information